Subject: Re: JavaStation
To: None <eeh@turbolinux.com>
From: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@metabyte.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/13/2000 14:38:30
Eduardo and others,

I did the Linux support on the JavaStation so if you have any questions,
please feel free to ask, don't guess. In fact I am surprised that eeh
did not redirect you at once, he was well aware that I have all
JavaStation models covered (including those that do not exist officially).

> From: Steinar Hamre <steinarh@stud.fim.ntnu.no>

> The Linux-port to the javastation does not deal with OpenBoot at
> all. This makes the port almost useless.

Steimar, look how SILO operates on JavaStaion, it uses both
IEEE-1275 and regular OBP. Kernel itself is also interesting,
for example I looked at the way PPC port operates (they have
IEEE-1275 with 32 bits words).

> From: Oliver Fromme <oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de>

> I tried to load the NetBSD kernel with
> PROLL, but it complained that it's not a.out (no surprise, the
> NetBSD kernel is ELF).

Oliver, try to use elftoaout. In case ultra.linux.cz is not
available, it is included into FreeBSD ports tree. Google for it,
or I may send the tarball.

If you find PROLL useful for NetBSD kernel, I will introduce any
necessary modifications, for instance if anyone has patches to
compile it under NetBSD, that'd be most welcome. Currently it
includes <linux/foo.h> in places.

If you can do without PROLL, it's only better because it is a kludge,
honestly.

Greetings,
--Pete

P.S. If any of you are comping to USENIX in San Diego, we may link up.