Subject: Re: [OT] SPARCclassic->VGA monitor connection
To: None <kazk@yyy.or.jp>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2000 12:16:11
In <20000421061648157350@tokyo101.yyy.or.jp>
kazk@yyy.or.jp wrote:

> I 'm trying to hook up iiyama's "17 multiscan display, named MT-8617E
> here in Japan(not sure how it is called in the states or any other
> countries, though it's iiyama's Hello II series "17 multiscan display),
> to SPARCclassic with Sun -> VGA adaptor by following connections, though
> it didn't work.

I'm using Mitsubishi RD15G multiscan display for
my SPARCstation1+ and sun3/80.

> monitorDSUB15(mini)    VGA adaptor          Sun
>  (1)Red <------------- (1) <----------< (A1)
>  (2)Green <----------- (2) <----------< (A2)
>  (3)Blue <------------ (3) <----------< (A3)
>  (6)R.GND <----------- (6) <----------< (A1 GND)
>  (7)G.GND <----------- (7) <----------< (A2 GND)
>  (8)B.GND <----------- (8) <----------< (A3 GND)
> (10)Sync GND -------- (10) ------------ (1)Srial Read, (7)Write, (10)GND
> (13)H/HVSync <------- (13) <----------< (5)Comp Sync, (6)Hort Sync
> (14)Vert Sync <------ (14) <----------< (2) Vert Sync

(2)vertical sync and (6)horizontal sync may be obsoleted.
Only (5)compsite sync should be connected to (13)H/V sync.
Then it should be:

>  (1)Red <------------- (1) <----------< (A1)
>  (2)Green <----------- (2) <----------< (A2)
>  (3)Blue <------------ (3) <----------< (A3)
>  (6)R.GND <----------- (6) <----------< (A1 GND)
>  (7)G.GND <----------- (7) <----------< (A2 GND)
>  (8)B.GND <----------- (8) <----------< (A3 GND)
> (10)Sync GND -------- (10) ------------ (10)GND
> (13)H/HVSync <------- (13) <----------< (5)Comp Sync

There are also "sense signal" to determine resolution
at 13W3 connector. From The Sun hardware reference:

---
                                 gray/          1  gnd*
        red   *   *              green blue     2  vertical sync*
         |   1o  2o  3o  4o  5o    |     |      3  sense #2
        (O)                       (O)   (O)     4  sense gnd
            6o  7o  8o  9o 10o                  5  composite sync
             *   *                              6  horizontal sync*
                                                7  gnd*
        * Considered obsolete, may not be       8  sense #1
          connected.                            9  sense #0
                                                10 composite gnd

   The codes for the three monitor-sense bits are:

        0 ???                   4 1152 x 900 76Hz 19"
        1 reserved              5 reserved
        2 1280 x 1024 76Hz      6 1152 x 900 76Hz 16-17"
        3 1152 x 900  66Hz      7 no monitor connected
---

For 1152x900x66, (3)sense #2 should be connected to ground.
My SS1+ uses 1152x900x66 by default, though.
(i.e. all sense lines are open)
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@creres.dti.ne.jp