Subject: Re: 1.3 netboot installation oddities
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
From: Chief Anarchic Officer <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/1998 20:53:41
"Michael K. Sanders" sez:
/*
 * I ran into a couple problems while doing a network installation of
 * 1.3 on an IPC that I hope someone will be able to comment on...
 *
 * First, I've sucessfully netbooted sun boxes many times, but this time
 * something odd happened.  After sending the RARP request, the client
 * got a response from the server, but the subsequent TFTP request was
 * being ignored.  I re-checked the configuration and everything was
 * in order-- a tcpdump showed the TFTP request, but no response.  It
 * also showed that the server was making an ARP request for the client's
 * address!  Checking the ARP table showed an entry for the client at
 * (incomplete).  After manually adding the correct ARP entry, the
 * TFTP proceeded to work as expected.  The server was a NetBSD/i386 box
 * running a 1.2G snapshot.  Any ideas why this would happen?

For the record, I encountered this same "oddity" with an SLC trying to
boot from an IPX, and this has been happening since 1.2.  If anyone cares
to comment on this, please do.

 */

				--*greywolf;
--
System V Release 4 /MIS tem FIVE re LEES FORE/ n. 1.  An operating system so
hideously huge, bloated and driven by marketing rather than performance or