Subject: Netscape 4.0beta3 progress ...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/12/1997 02:34:14
OK, I know you all are getting bored with this by now  :-)

The dlopen() problem has been cured.  Netscape 4 seems to be *very* picky
about what libs it chooses to associate itself with, so on a hunch, I figured
that since they build it on SunOS 4.1.3_U1, maybe it would be happiest with
those libraries.  So I replaced my libc.{sa,so}, libdl.so and ld.so in
/emul/sunos/usr/lib with the 4.1.3_U1 versions, and suddenly Netscape is
happy and no longer dies with dlopen complaints.  Anyway, FYI on that.
Since Netscape is the main app I use under SunOS compatibility, I figured
it was useful to determine what makes it happy.

I'm still having problems with Java, however; going to the applets page off
of http://www.javasoft.com/ first led to a bizarre complaint that "java40.jar"
wasn't anywhere in $CLASSPATH (it was, and a ktrace showed it found it
several times earlier in the run before it complained).  I kludged around it
by making a java40.jar symlink in ~/.netscape pointing to the real thing in
/usr/local/netscape/java/classes.  That got Java to start, but when it
tried to run the applets on the page (http://www.javasoft.com:81/index.html? )
it gets an "Applet Applet exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError" and
the applets are non-functional.  I'll tackle this some more another time ...

Oh, btw, Netscape 3.01 still works fine (Java and all).

If anyone else has Netscape 4.0beta3 (SunOS 4.1.3_U1 binary) working fine,
Java and all, I'd be interested to hear about it.

	- Greg