Subject: netboot failure on SS10
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/1997 01:23:04
Ok, I ftp'd the 1.2 distribution from ftp.netbsd.org. I'm trying to netboot
a SPARCstation 10 off of a Sun 3/260 (running SunOS 4.1.1).

I've got /etc/ethers correct, /etc/hosts correct, and I believe /etc/bootparams
correct as well.

I've got tftpd running, rpc.bootparamd running, and I've nfs exported the
filesystem to the machine. showmount -a says that the 10 has mounted the
filesystems, so everything looks good.

When I try to netboot the 10, I get this:
>> NetBSD BOOT [$Revision: 1.4 $]
boot: client IP address: 10.0.0.15
boot: client name:
root addr=10.0.0.6 path=/project/export/root
Can't open network device '/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus#f,e00100/ledma@f,400010/le@ \
f,c0000'
open: netbsd: Unknown error: code 13
device[/iommu@f,00000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000]:

I hit 'return'

boot: netbsd <- (I type in netbsd)
Can't open network device '/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus#f,e00100/ledma@f,400010/le@ \
f,c0000'
open: netbsd: Unknown error: code 23
device[/iommu@f,00000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010/le@f,c00000]:

What did I do wrong?

When I did manage to boot the miniroot (when attempting to boot from disk,
before I accidently blew away the OS), I got I think (I don't remember!)
dma errors after the net interface was ifconfig'd. I got the network error
every time I hit a key. I should've written down the exact error *smack*.

Anybody else seen this?
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.    -   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  House of Retrocomputing:            -   kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu