Subject: Re: crashing when starting X
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/23/1996 22:22:32
On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, matthew green wrote:

>    anyway, the new kernel panics and dies if I try to start an X session,
>    or do any big compiles.  It goes like this..  anybody any ideas?
>
> if you boot the old kernel, run this:
>
> (gdb) set nbuf=128
>
> this will limit the number of buffers.  this is caused by the changed of
> MAXBSIZE, which has shown itself to be rather annoying on lower end sparcs,
> and we must (for now) work around with the above.  there are also others
> options available;  i mailed them to this list recently.

I tried this nbuf=128 thing, but get no luck with it - it still crashes if
I do any big things..  I actually got an X session going in the end but it
died when I fired up pine..

strangely enough, "print nbuf" before I did the set showed it to be zero
- is this right?  (I hadn't actually run the kernel yet when I tried it)
but it shows it to be 128 now (permanently)

iain