Subject: Re: General sun4m problems (Re: Disk formatting and labelling under NetBSD/sparc?)
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/1996 09:47:48
[ Sorry ... I'm really behind on my e-mail after being away for a
  long-weekend --thorpej ]

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 13:10:16 +0100
 "Neil J. McRae" <neil@domino.org> wrote:

" > > " == Alan Perry

 > > Problem 2.
 > > The system does not configure (and thus does not handle) the floppy drive.
 > > During boot, I get a message saying that the floppy (SUNW,fwtwo or whatever
 > > it is called) was not configured.  I looked through the configuration and
 > > noted that the floppy controller could only be configured on "mainbus".
 > > I do not know what mainbus is, but the OBP and my slavio docs say that the
 > > fdc is on obio, so I modified things so that it would match when the OBP

You can, in fact, add the following to your config file:

fdc0    at obio0

I checked this change in myself.  My SS10 is able to configure the
floppy, but it still doesn't work.  The control register lives somewhere
else (for e.g. ejecting the floppy), and the sun4m uses a different
floppy chip than the sun4c.

 > > returned that the floppy is on obio.  Now, when I try to use the floppy, I
 > > get a watchdog reset.  Even worse, when I look at the code, it does not seem
 > > to muck with the appropriate fdc registers in a way that is consistent with
 > > what the slavio manual says.
 > >
 > > Any ideas?

No ideas, since I don't know how those registers are supposed to be
frobbed :-)  I may be able to help you get the floppy working, and I can
partially test it myself (by doing something very evil to get my SS10 to
boot; don't ask...) ... however, as I said, I lack any sort of
documentation on the floppy controller...