Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/1996 08:36:16
On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Apr 22, 11:13am, neil@domino.org ("Neil J. McRae") wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
>
> | On Mon, 22 Apr 1996 05:35:31 GMT
> |  christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
> |
> | > I just added a patch that will use link0 to select utp and -link0 to sele
> ct
> | > aui. Actually I was committing the patch at the same time Aaron committed
> | > his :-)
> |
> | This is horrible! This driver should be able to detect what is plugged
> | into the card and the user should not have to preselect link0 or
> | -link0.
> |
> | Neil
> | [who sometimes uses UTP and sometimes uses AUI!] :-)
>
> Read the man page. The driver is supposed to select the right media at
> boot time. On the other hand, I don't think that it is right to dynamically
> change media just because link was lost in the middle of the day. Even
> SunOS and Solaris don't do that.

So if the man page says the driver can do something, does that make the
driver automatically do it? :-) See my previous message...the PROM
doesn't give us much help on bootup. Also, if link0 is not specified,
lehwinit() will clear the TP bit, forcing it to AUI. I'm not sure what
the best way to solve this is...anyone have ideas?

--Aaron