Subject: Re: Disk formatting and labelling under NetBSD/sparc?
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@jnx.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/1996 10:05:16
> > After some fooling around I have NetBSD booting on a SPARCstation LX.
>
> Can you define "fooling around"?  We have a spare LX here at work that's
> currently doing yeoman duty as a Solaris 2.5 test mule, but after that
> effort is over ...

The first problem is probably unique to me, and was that I using a too-old
SunOS 4.1.3 /boot and bootblock which just didn't work on the LX.  The NetBSD
/boot and bootblock work fine.

The second problem was that the ethernet on the LX has two media connectors,
a 10baseT connector and a non-standard AUI connector, but the le driver
has no idea about how the media selection is done and the 10baseT
connector was never alive when I booted.   The workaround hack I
used was to catch the machine in the boot prom as it was booting, and then
do a

	boot net-tpe	[initializes ethernet]
	<L1><A>		[stop doing that]
	boot disk

but obviously this needs to be fixed in the driver.

> "LX won't boot SunOS the way it is"?  I've never heard of an LX that
> couldn't boot SunOS ...  why not slap a CD-ROM drive on it and boot off

Sorry, lack of clarity.  I wasn't referring to SunOS in general, just the
4.1.3 version which is the only version I have.  Mine seems to predate the
sun4m.

Dennis Ferguson