Subject: Disk formatting and labelling under NetBSD/sparc?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@jnx.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/15/1996 09:47:25
Hello,

After some fooling around I have NetBSD booting on a Sparcstation LX.  It
seems to work okay, though I haven't done much with it yet.  My next problem
is that I'd like to re-label, and preferrably reformat, the internal disk in
the workstation before installing NetBSD on it.  What I would normally do for
this is to boot a SunOS 4.x disk which I have for this purpose and run format
from there but the LX won't boot SunOS the way it is and, since I only have
the one SunOS disk, the idea of doing to it what I did to make NetBSD boot
is unappealing.  I tried running the SunOS format program under NetBSD but
it isn't happy and complains about not being able to find any disks.

In any case, the best solution would be to be able to label (and reformat,
though I could do without this) a Sun disk from NetBSD.  I was wondering if
there is now a way to do this which I haven't been able to find, or if SunOS
is still the only game in town for this.  If the latter is still true this is
going to be more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks,
Dennis Ferguson