Subject: Re: SCSI failure with latest binaries
To: None <port-sparc@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, robin@paros.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/23/1994 11:17:25
> After installing the latest binaries on a sparc 1+, I received this message on
> the first boot:
>
> esp0 target 3 cmd 0x28 (receiving data): data count errors
> stat=11<TC,IO> (data in) step=4 dmacsr=80001b1d<ENA,READ,IP> fflags=0
> intr=10<SVC>

Well, just a comment: I have occasionally seen spurious panics and/or
malfunctioning device-drivers after halting NetBSD and rebooting without
typing "reset" at the "ok" prompt first. This is by no means reproducible.
This may well be caused by some PROM versions not re-initialising thoroughly
enough. My IPC PROM is at version 1.6. It seems that newer PROMs always
perform a "reset" automatically before rebooting. On the other hand,
drivers like "esp" could make sure their devices are in a sane state when
attaching.