Port-sh3 archive

Re: STX7105(NEXTVOD) not booting

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 15:37:23 +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:

> > NEXTVOD config says at the very top it's work in progress and not even
> > expected to compile :)
>
> Yes, I saw the comments and expected to get at least the kernel panic. :)

The kernel tries to init (the wrong) pmap pretty early.  Looking
around my disk I can see some leftover nextvod hacks in the tree with
the embedded kernel forth interpreter to hook up
sys/arch/evbsh3/nextvod/stasc.c, so I'm probably not imagining things.
But I didn't keep any logs it seems.

> > A palliative solution would be to use a verion of firmware that
> > doesn't switch to the 32-bit SE mode (limiting physical memory to
> > 512MB) or to do the mode switch song and dance early in the kernel (I
> > don't remember if NetBSD ever wants anything from the firmware once it
> > booted).  At least the device drivers can be worked on in that setup.
>
> Indeed, the customized u-boot uses 32-bit mode:
> Board: STx7105-PDK  [32-bit mode]
>
> Which path to the destination is shorter?

Depends on whether you consider writing a new pmap "easy", I guess :).

-uwe