Subject: Re: processor speed on O2
To: None <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <lacoste@univ-paris12.fr>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/31/2007 20:02:54
On Saturday 31 March 2007 19:41, Stephen M. Rumble wrote:
> Quoting Thierry Lacoste <lacoste@univ-paris12.fr>:
> > I've just installed NetBSD3.0.2 on an O2.
> > How can I find the processor speed?
>
> But, you already know it ;)
>
> Do you just want to see it printed at boot as part of the dmesg? I'm
> not sure why this is desirable, but it could be trivially done
> somewhere by querying the PROM, or perhaps derived by a timing loop.
>
> Steve
I'm contributing a perl agent which collects various infos about
a computer to ease inventories. More specifically I'm writing
the BSD part. I try to make it work on various BSDs and various
platforms.

Your answer rings two bells:
- is it possible to query the PROM from within NetBSD?
- a timing loop may be a cleaner way to get the processor
  speed that what I currently do (greping through dmesg or
sysctl). Can you give me some pointers on how to do that?

Regards,
Thierry.