Subject: Re: /dev/ksyms not configured on 4.0BETA2?
To: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <stephen.rumble@utoronto.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 03/19/2007 16:43:53
Quoting George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:44:54 +0000
> George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've updated my Challenge S to 4.0BETA2 and I've been building some
>> packages from pkgsrc. Most things seem to be working OK but one that
>> isn't is snmpd from net-snmp. This compiles and installs fine but when
>> I try and run it I get '/dev/ksyms: Device not configured'. I'm
>> running the GENERIC kernel and I've checked that ksyms are enabled in
>> the GENERIC config file and that /dev/ksyms exists. What am I missing
>> / doing wrong?
>
> Some further information:
>
> At boot time, just before the copyright message is displayed, I get the
> message "Kernel symbol table missing!". I'm sure this is a clue but I
> don't know why it thinks the table is missing. Just in case it was
> something wrong with the generic kernel, I did a native build of a
> custom kernel and tried again. Same thing, no symbol table. Suggestions?

I think that this has been happening since I started playing with
sgimips three or four years ago. However, Martin Husemann brought the
following up a few months ago:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sgimips/2006/12/26/0000.html

I'm not sure if this would fix what you're seeing, nor whether he
committed anything, but it may be worth investigating.

Regards,
Steve