Subject: Re: install, but no boot
To: james ozone (engineering) <ozone@cname.com>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 01/17/2006 20:19:53
> From: james ozone (engineering) <ozone@cname.com>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:37:14 -0800 (PST)
> To: port-sgimips@NetBSD.org
> Subject: install, but no boot
>
> i feel like a total noob for asking, but: now that i've installed netbsd
> on this indy (long story short, there really is a "generation gap" with
> new scsi disks and 10-year old boot proms...) it won't boot.
>
>>> boot
> Unable to load scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/boot: no such file or
> directory
>
> where nvram settings are per the install docs:
>
> SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
> OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
> OSLoader=boot
> OSLoadOptions=auto
> OSLoadFilename=netbsd.ecoff
>
> hinv agrees that there's a disk at target 1, and sysinst installed on it.
>
> installation was via netboot, using diskimage.tgz and friends, hosted on a
> netbsd/sparc64 2.1 box with the requisite ip.anonport sysctls. from the looks
> of things, either the OSLoader is wrong, or sysinst didn't populate vh on
> the disk... but 3.0 has been out long enough that this issue would already
> have been across the list, methinks.

I have had no problems installing and booting NetBSD on my Indy R5K.   I let
sysinst format my drive and I did a NetBoot for the install kernel.
Everything installed and booted fine.   Just give me a moment to start up my
Indy, and I'll give you the settings that work for my Indy...

Okay, here's mine:

SystemPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)
OSLoadPartition=scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(0)
OSLoader=boot
OSLoadFilename=/netbsd

I don't have the OSLoadOptions environment variable set on my Indy, but I do
have AutoLoad=Yes.

These variables have worked fine for me with NetBSD 2.1 and NetBSD 3.0.