Subject: Re: indy audio
To: Steve Rumble <rumble@ephemeral.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 07/16/2003 10:44:13
--==_Exmh_1761531571P

In message <20030715181517.7f12e7b1.rumble@ephemeral.org>, you write:

-> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:15:19 -0700
-> Shelby Noonan <snoonan@ubicom.com> wrote:
->
-> > Is anyone working on this?  Does anyone have info on how to so I can
-> > try?
->
-> I don't believe that there exists any released documentation on HAL2,
-> the IP22/24/26 audio hardware. Indigo audio hardware is based on some
-> motorola chips, I believe, which utilize the HPC1.5, so it's not
-> inconceivable that support could be written by obtaining documentation
-> for the audio chips while gleaning the HPC3 interface from IRIX headers.
-> However, it would likely be a less than simple affair. I also do not
-> have any idea precisely what drives the audio on the HAL2 - sgi may have
-> spun something themselves for that project.

The Linux guys have a driver, and even have some very minimal docs
for the chip.  The HAL is basically a more complex DMA engine driving
a few ADI DACs (and maybe some digital output, IIRC), so the hard
part is just getting the correct DMA formats to be accepted/emitted.

If anyone is interested in working on the audio support, please get a
hold of me off-list and I'll try and see if I can dig those docs up.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

--==_Exmh_1761531571P

--==_Exmh_1761531571P--