Subject: Re: indy - serial-only?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal.boni@eDial.com>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 08/31/2001 01:07:20
In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0108310641330.4000-100000@rfhpc8320.fh-regensburg.de>
, you write:

-> I managed to load a kernel (via sash), and it seems to start up NetBSD,
-> but then the ARC "window" gets clobbered by a green rectangle, and nothing
-> is visible any more. I have mouse, keyboard and monitor hooked up to the
-> system. Is it possible that the sgimips port is serial-console only
-> right now?

Very much so.  I had sort-of hoped that the PROM console could print stuff
out to the screen, but it appears not to be the case, at least not in the
current state of the world.

-> If so, can someone repeat me the steps to switch from "normal" console to
-> serial? I promise to update the FAQ... :)

(1) Unplug keyboard, and without changing anything your Indy will default
    to output on serial #1, at 9600, 8N1 by default.  I'm not sure if the
    `dbaud' environment variable works in the case of the auto-switch (cf
    the next point for `dbaud'),

or

(2) In the PROM do a `setenv console d' for serial #1, or `setenv console
    d2' for serial #2 and then optionally `setenv dbaud <bps>' to set the
    speed.  After you set these PROM variables either do an `init' or
    reboot the machine to effect the new settings.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                              rafal.boni@eDial.com
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C
    Need to get a hold of me?  http://800.edial.com/rafal.boni@eDial.com