Re: DS207 fails to auto boot (Bad Magic Number)

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 16:11:43 +0000
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> > MAC address 00:11:32:01:65:56
>
> This /might/ be a problem with the firmware versus ARP.  The firmware
> doesn't read the MAC address, so it uses 11:22:33:44:55:54.  This means
> that the server has an ARP entry:
>
>   192.168.1.106 at 11:22:33:44:55:54
>
> However, when altboot starts, it reads the real MAC address and then tries
> to fetch netbsd over the network.  The server has any entry for the IP
> address (192.168.1.106) but mapped to the wrong MAC address.

This would also affect other NAS models, and it would mean that the
problem no longer depends on the network load or content (which we more
or less confirmed)?

A simple workaround would be to assign a different IP address via DHCP
to this different MAC.

> I see that I can still get timeouts with 8 receive descriptors on my
> DS207. When this happened, the packet in descriptor 7 was a broadcast:

Hmm... always?

>   Got one rxd[7] : rxstat = 00400300
>   Parsing : ctl = 63550040
>   >> ff ff ff ff ff ff 60 6b bd 85 bf 22 08 06
>   recving with 2 sec. timeout
>   timeout
>
> (and we give up after "recving with 16 sec. timeout") but I don't know if
> the broadcast in the last descriptor is significant or not.

Neither do I. Can you determine the source of these broadcasts and
disable them for a test?

The descriptors are linked in a ring. So for the hardware there is no
"last entry" visible.

> PS.  I think that I've fixed up:
>
>   http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/sandpoint/instsynology/
>
> so that all the text is visible and the image links are correct.

Great! Thanks a lot. Now only the installation pages for the other
NAS models have to be fixed. ;)

If I would knew my login I could fix some pages myself...

--
Frank Wille