Subject: DS5240 serial ports
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/11/1999 11:01:19
This is sort of stretching it, but does anybody know if anyone has
ever looked into (or achieved) modifying the external clock supplied
to the 8530 serial interface in the DS5000/240? the 8530 is a very
fine UART, for example older macintoshes used them to drive AppleTalk
ports at 230.4 kilobits/sec, and so it is sort of disappointing
to see that DEC only lets them run at 38400. I dont think i know wnough
to try to overclock the external signal myself, but does anyone here know
if its even possible to drive it at higher speeds?

I believe that some DEC3000 workstations also had these chips in them..

(but i dont see any hint in the DEC3000 documentation, which is more
voluminous than 5000/2xx documentation, that it is possible or not)

thanks,
isildur