Subject: re: ported to ...
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/12/1995 15:16:41
> The other problem I've seen reported is that serial consoles don't
> work.  I don't think they ever worked.  The kernel starts off using
> PROM functions for console I/O, and doesn't do any clean hand-off
> to the kernel driver when the kernel's serial driver  initializes the
> serial chips.  I don't have a clean fix for that.

You may be speaking specifically of the 3MIN here, but just in case,
and to avoid any ambiguity:

I can report that the serial console on my 5000/25 (is that a MAXINE?
I can never keep the code names straight) did work just fine a long
time ago.

The one and only NetBSD kernel I ever ran successfully was one I built
in ECOFF under Ultrix last November; it was running with a serial con-
sole.  None of the miniroots have ever booted on my 5000/25 (I haven't
tried in the past couple of months, though).

Should I try the miniroot again?  Or should I just wait until some
more kernel work gets done?  Also, if someone would like to volunteer
to patiently answer my potentially stupid questions, I'd like to give
it a try again in any case.

AdTHANKSvance.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com  (Internet)