Subject: Re: next68k port status?
To: Brian Willoughby <brianw@sounds.wa.com>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@NetBSD.org>
List: port-next68k
Date: 10/15/2003 14:16:22
NeXTs filesystem is the ancestor of MacOS's UFS filesystem,
and they are very similar.

We don't currently support it, although I had it working in the lab
while developing our support for MacOS's UFS filesystem.

The biggest issue is that most of their filesystems are
formatted with 1024 byte sectors.  (Although their cd's
are ufs with 2048 byte sectors)  Fixing this is a big task
that has been looked at hard by many people for many years.
On next68k, you might get away with bumping DEV_BSIZE, but
thats not a particularly good answer.

Additionally, netbsd's Apple UFS filesystem support was broken when
the ffs2 changes were introduced, and I don't yet trust the way it
will upgrade your superblock.  Furthermore, ompatibility support for
old bsd filesystem features used by NeXT, such as FS_42INODEFMT was
removed from NetBSD at that time.

Needless to say, I was annoyed at the breakage, but haven't
had the time to go back in and fix.

Darrin