Subject: Re: awacs driver
To: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2007 11:06:24

Hello,

On Nov 4, 2007, at 07:14, Frank Wille wrote:

> Michael Lorenz wrote:
>
>> the hardware notes claim that the awacs driver can cause trouble on
>> some G4 Macs, hints about interrupt storms. I've never had any
>> trouble
>> with this driver but I don't have an awacs-equipped G4 either -
>> just a
>> G3 and a PowerBook. My guess is that those problems were caused by
>> the
>> old, horribly buggy interrupt code which has been improved a lot
>> in the
>> last two years.
>
> Unfortunately there is still a problem with it, at least with
> NetBSD 3.1.1.
>
> I like to hear to a radio live stream while compiling and
> developing, and
> after a few minutes it happened: complete lockup of the system! The
> only
> life-sign was that I could still ping the machine, but not log-in.

Ouch, that does look like an interrupt deadlock.

> This is a PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth) 400 MHz with 1.25 GB RAM. The load
> was not
> too high (mainly caused by Firefox). I was just starting a new live
> stream on
> xmms when it happened.

Ok, my G4 isn't too different from that ( AGP, 2x 500MHz G4, 896MB )
- - - let's see if I can reproduce it. I've been listening to music a
lot, maybe network activity at the same time triggers it.

> Did the interrupt code improve from 3.1 to 4.0, or in current? Then
> I might
> test that again.

All the changes I did to the interrupt code prior to the ppcoea-
renovation branch dealt solely with old world interrupt controllers,
all G4s have OpenPICs so those changes wouldn't have any effect. The
interrupt code was more or less completely rewritten to be more
sharable between powerpc ports so it might be interesting to see what
happens with fairly recent -current.

have fun
Michael