Subject: NetBSD 3 problem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/22/2006 13:35:58
Hi,

In the past few months, I've upgraded several macppc machines to NetBSD 3:

Motorola Starmax with a G3 accelerator
PowerMac 7300 - 9600 type machines with 1 GHz IBM G3
Blue and white G3 with 1 GHz IBM G3

However, when I've tried to upgrade an AGP G4 tower, I've had mixed
results. It seems that with a 400 MHz processor, the system runs fine,
although I didn't have it up for more than a few days. When I add a 1.7
GHz 7447a accelerator, the system freezes after anywhere from a few
seconds to a few minutes of use of any SCSI bus. I've tried five different
ATTO cards:

An older ATTO which negotiates to 20 MB/sec (isp*)
an ExpressPCI (40 MB/sec, isp*)
a dual channel ExpressPCI (40 MB/sec, isp*)
a UL2D (dual channel 160 MB/sec, esiop*)
a UL3S (320 MB/sec, esiop*)
a UL3D (dual channel 320 MB/sec, esiop*)

The system itself has been in use with NetBSD for more than a year, and
I've tried two different 7447a accelerators, so that rules out the
possibility of the problem being elsewhere.

When the system locks, it's not a SCSI bus issue; the whole system
completely locks, and I cannot even get into the debugger.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John Klos