Subject: Re: Trying to dig my way in
To: je killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
From: Radek Kujawa <streamer@cytrynka.infoland.int.pl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/07/2004 19:13:40
je killen wrote:
> I did this and the system still ignored the   Netbsd
> install cd, even with the setenv auto-boot? false command so it
> wouldn't try to boot into MacOS and loose the new env setiings when
> reset-all was issued.
I had the same problem, when I tried to boot install CD, OF ignored it,
even when it was pure ISO9660. I thought that CD drive is broken...
Maybe there's problem with media-bay in some PowerBook models that
prevents them from booting? My friend also owns PowerBook 3400, and he
couldn't boot it from media-bay CD too. However, he succeed in booting it
from external SCSI CD.

PB3400's mediabay CD drive is /bandit/ohare/media-bay/ata/atapi-disk@0,0

> The CD image has hybrid HFS+/iso9660 file system and won't boot on my
> OFW 2.0.1 machine.
Mine won't boot from any kind of filesystem in media-bay CD.

> The cd is missing data (the last 2 MB?)
That's not the problem, I think ;).

> I tried dir (in OFW) on several dev aliases and got responses like DIR
> failed
> and can't read such and such, When I did it on scsi-int/sc@0, OFW froze
> with stack overflow error message.
PB3400's scsi-int is used only for real SCSI drives connected to external
SCSI chaini. Also, remember that OF will only DIR pure ISO9660 and MSDOS
(FAT16) filesystems.

> I know a CDROM drive and a Zip drive can use the scsi bus (internal in
> this case) but the floppy drive? I thought floppy drives had their own
> bus. I know floppy drives on other machines, Macs in particular, can't
> be shared over a network. So, how is this issue resolved?
Media-bay CDROM drive is certainly ATAPI. I never had floppy or Zip drive,
so I'm not sure about these. I suspect that media-bay Zip is ATAPI also.

After all those problems I was frustrated. But fortunately I found other
way to install NetBSD on 3400 - using PCMCIA :). Maybe my post about it
will be helpfull:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2004/08/12/0001.html

Radek

P.S. Sorry for my english ;).