Subject: Re: Booting an iMac after installing 1.6Z
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew A Kolb <muk@msu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2003 15:11:28
Ryan La Riviere writes:

> On 10/7/03 12:28 PM, "Matthew A Kolb" <muk@msu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ryan La Riviere writes:
>>
>>> I've installed 1.6.1 on a 333MHz Green iMac.
>>
>>> Anyway, back to the main problem.  I can't seem to be able to get it to boot
>>> from the internal HD after successfully installing 1.6.1 (or 1.6Z).
>>>
>>> Settings and other info:
>>> Partitioned with:
>>>   /      32MB
>>>   swap   512MB
>>>   /usr   5550MB
>>>   /dos   55MB (dos formatted)
>>>
>>> Installed via cd
>>>
>>> Open Firmware version 3.0.f3
>>>
>>> devalias of hd = /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@0
>>> devalias of cd = /pci/mac-io/ide@21000/disk@0
>>>
>>> I've tried:
>>>   boot hd:
>>>     MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition   can't OPEN: hd:
>>>   boot hd:x  (x = 0-10)
>>>     DISK-LABEL: LOAD (noninterposed) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1
>>> LOAD SIZE is too small
>>

>> did you put ofwboot.xcf on the /dos partition? you need to point to that.
>> open firmware 3 machines need to have the ofwboot on either hfs, hfs+,
>> msdos, or ethernet (according to the install doc).
>>
>> i have my ofwboot.xcf on an hfs partition, and i boot like this:
>> boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:10,/netbsd (to point to the netbsd kernel on my
>> netbsd's root partition).
>
> I was trying to figure out how to get the ofwboot.xcf onto another partition
> but I couldn't figure out how.  What method did you use to get the hfs
> partition set up?

I simply installed macos 9 on to the hfs partition, and copied
ofwboot.xcf from the install media to the hard drive (not the
desktop).

I suppose, if you really wanted to, you could probably just create
some sort of bootable cd (macos, or netbsd) which had the ofwboot.xcf
on it, copy the file to the hfs partition, and forego the installation
of an os onto the hfs partition.  I've never done that, but I don't see
why it wouldn't work.

./muk

--
m. kolb  <muk@msu.edu>