Subject: Re: (OT) seeking serial terminal emulation application
To: John Gordon <john_94501@yahoo.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/14/2003 17:48:13
On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 10:47  AM, John Gordon wrote:

> You could take a look at the stuff on Fink, where there's lots of
> software
> that's been ported to MacOS X. A quick scan there got this hit:
>
>      http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/eterm
>
> Don't know if that's going to be what you're after - it was described
> as a
> VT102 emulator.

The problem I found with most terminal programs for OSX is they don't
really handle the keyboard as a VT1xx or VT2xx.  The Escape sequences
they send aren't correct for the extended keys (keypad, function keys,
etc) so they can't be used to with a DEC editor on a remote system like
a VAX.  The VT100/200 emulation in programs like NiftyTelnet work but
it isn't a native program and the sources don't appear to be available.
  The one OSX native program I found that works is "iTerm".  I've also
tried remapping the keyboard following Apple's documentation for 10.2.4
but some of the keys don't appear to remap.  If anyone wants the
keyboard file I wrote to tinker with I'd be happy to send it to them.
In theory a proper keyboard map should make even Terminal work
correctly.

-bob