Subject: Re: Booting
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/04/2001 13:08:37
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 12:00 PM -0800 12/4/01, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> >
> >>  Note that 600000 works fine with the boot floppy image.  I thought
> >>  the netbsd install kernel and the ofwboot.xcf were supposed to be the
> >>  same with the same load addresses.
> >
> >No, the kernel and ofwboot have different load addresses. owboot is at
> >600000, and the kernel starts at 100000.
>
> I didn't say that right.  I meant that the ofwboot.xcf and
> netbsd.ram.gz files were the same as the files hidden on the floppy
> image.  Therefore the only difference between the boot floppy and my
> MS-DOS boot floppy should be the filesystem type and the form of the
> OF boot command.

Ahhh... Yes.

And exactly which loader loads it.

> That's *still* not true though since ofwboot.xcf is an XCOFF load
> module while the boot floppy contains a simple, literal, executable
> image based on that module, doesn't it?

Yep. Though actually ofwboot is based on ofwboot.elf. The difference is
that xcoff files (text sections) have to start with a 4 byte address of
where to enter the code, while elf and the literal form must not have that
value. In terms of code executed, they are the same though.

> >Right about the floppy image; my findings were that for floppy loading,
> >load-base had to match where the file should get loaded, and for
> >netbooting it should *NOT* match.
>
> Ugh!  I *hate* it when you have contradictory requirements.  I don't
> think I tried 500000 with the floppy image.

Yep, I just love it too. :-|

Take care,

Bill