Subject: Re: Power Mac Upgrade Cards
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/01/2001 17:06:45
Hi,

the Metabox Jocard G4 seems to have a problem. It will only boot
MacOS from the harddrive or cdrom (here with a PM7500) after
MacOS started with their driver installed. So if you somehow
manipulate the nvram (like using systemdisk) you will need to either
boot with another CPU card to MacOS with the Metabox extension
installed or have a bootfloppy prepared, that has the extension
installed. This has been reported by a german magazine, and
although Metabox claim there is a solution to this they have not
answered my e-mail message in the last five days.

This does not affect NetBSD. But if someone does not have another
CPU card, when systemdisk is run, MacOS is no longer accessible.
This should probably be mentioned in the FAQ somewhere. A
simple solution is a boot disk (like the apple Disk Tools PPC.img),
delete diskfirstaid and/or drivesetup and copy the metabox driver to
the extensions folder. So after running netbsd just boot with this
floppy, shutdown and then it is possible to boot macos from the
harddrive again. It is lousy, but it works.

For systems that have OF that defaults to ttya I recommend such a
bootdisk with systemdisk installed (my PM7500 would crash when I
swap floppies) so that in the case something happens to the nvram
one can get the mac working again.

HTH

mike