Subject: Installer ignores existing partitions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@netheaven.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2001 00:02:07
I am running the installer off of a floppy disk created from the
boot.fs image.  (Long tale of how I got to this point omitted.)

The Install Documentation (pp 27 on the PostScript version I printed
out) under "7. Partitioning the disk" says "You will be asked if you
want to use the entire disk or only part of the disk."

I am not being asked.  Instead the installer only offers to blithely
format all 6Gig. I have MacOS and left over partitions for /, /usr,
//home, and swap, from previously messing with Debian Linux and
LinuxPPC. They were created with pdisk, which I still have. Currently
my system has about 10 partitions on the partion map. pdisk reports
the partitions as below.

Top level command (? for help): l /dev/hda

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #:                type name              length   base     ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
 2:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             54 @ 64
 3:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh             74 @ 118
 4:       Apple_Patches Patch Partition      512 @ 192
 5:           Apple_HFS untitled         4198082 @ 704      (  2.0G)
 6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                1024000 @ 4198786  (500.0M)
 7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap              409600 @ 5222786  (200.0M)
 8:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr             4194304 @ 5632386  (  2.0G)
 9:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home            1228800 @ 9826690  (600.0M)
10:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /var             1539470 @ 11055490 (751.7M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=12594959 (6.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 20, type=0x701
2: @ 118 for 33, type=0xf8ff

Why isn't the install program behaving as documented; why doesn't it
ask if I wanted to use all or part of the disk?

Why isn't it detecting the existing partions?

Would it be safe or possible to manually tell the install partition
where to start to use disk space?

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@netheaven.com