Subject: Re: How does one install NetBSD on a mac cube?
To: Dave Low <supermac@hawaii.rr.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2001 10:06:35
On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Dave Low wrote:

: > : Actually, the xcoff version works on all machines -- the preference for the
: > : elf bootloader is that it's easier to compile, and thus there are more
: > : versions of it floating around.
: >
: > Yes.  In fact, the CDs pressed by Wasabi and The NetBSD Mission have only
: > the XCOFF version, for uniformity.
:
: When I get to the  Firmware boot prompt:
:
: >boot cd:ofwboot.elf (of course ofwboot.elf is not in the root of the CD)
:    gets me the quickly passing "booting elf" followed immediately by
:   "do-quiessing" or something like that. An immediate reboot to macos
:   follows that.

This is explained in the BOOTING.txt file on the root of the CD:

        For OpenFirmware version 2.4 and 3.x, use:

        > boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf

Note ".xcf" instead of ".elf"; the .xcf version works on all OFW, and is the
only one in the root of the CD.  Attempting to boot "ofwboot.elf" from the
CD will *not* work.  Also note the comma (,) after the colon (:).  Try
booting it this way and let us know what happens next.

The install notes (INSTALL.html in macppc folder) describe what to do about
your HFS partition (and how to boot ofwboot.xcf/.elf from the HFS partition
in OFW).  It's good to read through this document fully before going into
the install procedure.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/