Subject: compiled G4 Cube kernel?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@onthejob.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/25/2001 03:17:24
I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.5 on my Cube. I have three questions:

1) Obviously the kernel on the NetBSD/macppc 1.5 CD image I downloaded
will not work.  I am having essentially the same problem as Charles
M. Hannum reported in October: the memory size is mis-detected. Tsubai
Masanari offered him the URL for an up-to-date kernel, but that URL has
expired.  Is there any place I can get a compiled, up-to-date kernel or
a CD image that is more certain to boot my Cube? Apparently the kernel
must be version 1.5G or 1.5H. I cannot find one compiled.

2) Failing 1, has anyone recently cross-compiled NetBSD-current for
macppc on an i386 running NetBSD? I just blew several hours trying this
... the damned thing got hung up because vaddr_t was not typedef'd.
No matter how I tweaked the header files and added new #include's,
I couldn't get vaddr_t to be typedef'd before it was used. Argh. Has
anyone had some success?

3) In LinuxPPC, the only way to play from CD directly to the USB speakers
involves a CD track-ripper, like "cdparanoia". You cannot do anything with
the computer while a CD plays without audio drop-outs. Useless. Somehow
MacOS is able to play a CD and do other things at the same time; is
NetBSD, too?

Dave

--
David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung@onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933