Subject: Re: newfs is blowing my hfs
To: Parker <parker@zeroecho.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/07/2001 16:28:14
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Parker wrote:

> I can boot no problem with ofwboot on the hfs partition, but I'm not
> getting how to actually install the kernel and NetBSD sets onto the
> hard drive _without_ needing to run newfs?! I have found no way to
> convert the A/UX swap and A/UX / to 4.2BSD from the MacOS side and I'm
> afraid I don't know how to do it from the NetBSD side without using
> that newfs step in the sysinst... I've messed around with disklabel as
> well, but I'm not familiar enough with it to make sense out of it yet
> (soon hopefully!!). So now you see my problem no doubt.

newfs is not the problem. sysinst is. Don't use sysinst. :-)

For a disk which is using Apple partitioning, you can use disklabel to see
what partitions are where, but you should NOT use it edit the partitions.

One potential problem you might be running into is that if you've written
a disklabel which subsequent Apple partitioning didn't overwrite, NetBSD
will use it in preference to the apple partitioning. So you'd get in a
situation where both OSs didn't agree as to what is where.

Boot to a shell, and look at the disklabel. You should be able to see the
partitions you set up under MacOS there. Make sure the starts & lengths
are correct.

You will see them in a different order than the Apple partition map. The /
partition should show up as "a", and the swap as "b".

Take care,

Bill