Subject: Re: Interesting getty problem.
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/27/1999 18:07:08
On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 02:54:28PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Well, the machine shouldn't be able to notice the lack of a monitor. What
> exactly is the error?

In /var/log/authlog:

Sep 27 00:35:49 uriel getty[11507]: getty exiting due to excessive running time
Sep 27 00:36:54 uriel getty[11520]: getty exiting due to excessive running time
Sep 27 00:38:00 uriel getty[11522]: getty exiting due to excessive running time
Sep 27 00:39:49 uriel getty[11524]: getty exiting due to excessive running time

(Repeat ad naseum... actually, those are the last three at the end of
my authlog, but you know what I mean.)

> Are you sure nothing's touching the keyboard? We see weird authlog mesages
> when something has fallen on the keyboard of one of our tape servers
> (whose consoles are usually untouched) because something's on the keyboard
> and keys are repeating.

Hrm.

Actually, when I've booted recently, I've been getting a repeating *
(starting during boot messages, continuing through the login prompt),
though it's certainly not depressed on the keyboard. I figured it was
weirdness in the ADB driver (it goes away if I touch any other key -
non-printing ones included I believe but am not sure), but maybe it's
weirdness in the keyboard? (It's rather old - I use it because it's
small and has the control key in the right place, to the left of the
home row.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net