Port-mac68k archive

Re: Where do the mac68k packages on ftp.netbsd.org come from?

On 27.03.2013 16:28, John Klos wrote:

> We run binary package builds as best we can since even running
> continuously for three months for each pkgsrc branch would most
> likely not finish. Packages are uploaded once every week or two,
> so the number just continuously grows.

I see.

> Those pictures were taken so long ago that they're pre-digital :)

Doesn't impress me. I myself am mostly analogue. ;)

> Another machine which is used for pkgsrc testing and building is a
>  Quadra 610 which has a NewerTech QuadDoubler with a 50 MHz
> m68040. It currently has 68 megs, but when I have some time I hope
> to get some code into the kernel that allows it to support 128 meg
> SIMMs giving 260 megs total.

Someone at 68kmla.org said it might be possible to get a Quadra 650 up
with 516 megs. They burn their own ROM SIMM! It also containa other
hacks, like turning off memory checks at boot time or bootable
filesystems. Awesome stuff.

>> Imagine a stack of LC475/Q605 with 68040 at 40 MHz and 132 MB
>> Ram, netbooting NetBSD from a fast server and running distcc to
>> compile packages. :)

> You and I think alike - I even built a small set of shelves for up
> to ten of these, but by the time I had several going, I realized
> there were a lot of stability issues. I've been re-capping each of
> my Q605s, one at a time, and will be working on adding them one at
> a time.

The idea wasn't exactly mine, but i immediately saw the potential for
pkgsrc:

http://68kmla.org/forums/download/file.php?id=4001&t=1
http://68kmla.org/forums/download/file.php?id=3999&t=1

Trash80toHP_Mini is the tinkerer who made these and he is the one with
the hardware. I would do it a bit differently, less neat, more
oriented to get it up and running quickly, adhoc-woodframe-style.

I only have one full 68040, so i guess i can only provide the software
side. There is no sense in using 68LC040 for such a project i guess ;).

MFG,

Karsten Kruse

- --
        Gmäeß eneir Sutide ist es nchit witihcg, in
  ()    wlecehr Rneflogheie die Bstachuebn in eneim Wort
 <\/>   snid, das ezniige was wcthiig ist, ist die
 _/\_   Pstoiin des estern und leztetn Bstabechun.