Subject: Re: Setting up AppleTalk
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/28/2005 19:45:29
At 18:02 Uhr +0100 28.1.2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>So far, I've created a 20mb partition, copied the system onto it

Is that System 7.5?

>and installed the NIC drivers.

What do you use? OpenTransport? Might help to get and install OpenTransport
1.3.

Have you selected 'Ethernet' in the OT Appletalk control panel?

>But I'm stuck now.  I'd like to use
>AppleTalk to copy some files from my machine (the Booter, the kernel
>and maybe something else), but I can't get it to work.  All I want is
>to share a folder and be able to access it from the Mac.
>
>The Mac is directly connected to my i386 machine using a crossover
>cable.  (The i386 machine acts as a bridge between this network and
>the home one.)
>
>I enabled NETATALK in the i386 kernel, installed the netatalk package
>and read netatalk's manual.  Everything looks very simple, but I can't
>get it working (i.e., I open the Chooser in the Mac and nothing
>appears in AppleShare).
>
>I added the following to my atalkd.conf file:
>	ne0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1 -addr 1.142 -zone "Local"

You don't need an AppleTalk zone if there is only one.

>Though it's automatically replaced by (and I don't know why):
>	ne0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-65534 -addr 1.142
>
>And later started atalkd and afsd.  (atalkd takes a long while to start,
>which bothers me.)

That's okay. It looks up what's out there in AppleTalk land which takes a
while.

What does 'nbplkup' tell you on the Netatalk machine?

>Aside this, I think I see something strange.  The Network control panel
>always says "No zones available".  I _think_ this is incorrect and that
>I should define a zone in some way,

Nope - see above.

The whole thing about AppleTalk is that it configures itself - unless you
start to mess with routing.

HTH,
	hauke

--