Subject: Re: PowerBook 540c and NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Nate Carson <nate1001@linuxmail.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/2005 09:59:53
>> Hi,
>> I see that you are in South Carolina, right?  Do you have another
>> Mac or would it be handy if someone sent you a diskette?
> I have a PowerBook G4 with a USB floppy drive.  I found the=20
> images, but 10.3's Disk Utility won't write them to disk - some=20
> "read error" halts the process.  I'm not sure if it's the image=20
> itself, Disk Utility, or the fact that my floppy drive is USB.=20=20
> I've tried running old versions of Disk Utility through the=20
> Classic environment but had no luck with that either. I've also=20
> tried dd-ing the image to disk, but the result was unbootable.
>
> So really, I think I have what I need hardware-wise, but I=20
> haven't been able to find ther right combination of software to=20
> make these floppies.  I don't think it's necessary I be sent a=20
> floppy - yet ;)
>
> Any idea what the best way to make a 7.5 boot floppy under Mac OS=20
> 10.3 with a USB floppy drive is?
>
> Alan Dipert

I recently successfully installed 2.0 on a powerbook 540. Try using Disk_Co=
py
http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html
(I used v4.2 with the original system 7 software.) You will also=20
need Apple_HD_SC_Setup (Bring your patience too for switching floppy disks =
countless times ;)
When you get a hard drive icon again you can switch your system file on
the floppy to the hard drive so you're hard drive is bootable.=20
Is it even possible to get the partion right with just the
installer? I initialized and created a mac partition of 6mg first
with the 7.5 network disk and hd_sd_setup, then made the bsd partitions
with the installer. Tonight I'm going to try to post the steps I took
to get it all running because it definitely wasn't easy.

--=20
Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.linuxmail.org=20