Subject: PowerBook 540c and NetBSD/mac68k
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Dipert <ad@neologic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/2005 00:36:44
Hello,
I attempted to install NetBSD 2.0 on a PowerBook 540c that's currently
running System 7.1, and ran into some trouble.  I tried a "Quick"
install with sysinst as outlined in INSTALL.html.

Using the netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz kernel and Booter, the boot gets
relatively far but hangs on "root file system type: ffs."  The kernel
also reports that "PRAM time does not appear to have been read
correctly," a message that apparently is the result of a dead PRAM
battery.  I'm unsure as to how these two messages relate or as to how
crucial a new PRAM battery is.  While the computer is hanging on the ffs
message, the machine accepts keyboard input.

I took a digital picture of the kernel boot messages, available here:
http://www.neologic.net/ad/netbsdboot.jpg

Booter's bootlog is also available here:
http://www.neologic.net/ad/bootlog

I'm looking forward to getting NetBSD working on this computer and would
appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance,

Alan Dipert