Subject: Re: What would you consider to be the "best" system for
To: MacBSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/2004 10:56:33
on 6/1/04 5:02 AM, Smith Family at smithrus@hutchtel.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running FreeBSD on my PCs for a while now, but have a huge load of
> Macs downstairs I would like to run NetBSD on. If at all possible, I would
> like to get the better choices running first. My question, then, is this:
> what would you consider to be the "best" (hardware compatibility, speed,
> etc.) to run NetBSD on?

Well, we are speaking of old 68K macs here. Don't expect miracles, but you
can have a lot of fun.

you can get good results with the quadra 700 and the quadra 6xx family.
Several MacII's also work very well (except the unsupported IIfx). This for
the "big irons" of the family.
The quadra 8xx family, which should be fast and crisp, lacks disk
performance unfortunately (due to NetBSD, not the hardware). The advantage
is that it is quite modern, can accept a CD drive, has  a fast framebuffer
and taks standard SIMMS which are reasonably easy to find and so getting
around 64MB of fast enough ram is easy.

This is from my personal experience, other could give you other opinions.

You can run also on some LC's (not the original one). And an LC3 or an LC
475 give satisfactory results and if you get hold on a decent disk, ram and
an ethernet card they are definitively a nifty computer to use! Carrying
them to a convetion is definitively a breeze :)

-R