Subject: Re: NetBSD-mac68k SCSI problem question
To: Magnus Eriksson <mage@c64.org>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/2001 13:27:42
Hello,

>   Hi.  I guess I'm suffering from one of those infamous SCSI bugs (details
> below) and I'm wondering whether there's any chance the problem is fixed
> or will be fixed soon.  Unfortunately I don't really have any other spare
> SCSI disk so I'm kind of stuck.  Plus, installing the damn thing took
> eight hours.  EIGHT HOURS!  And that's just the time from "yes, install
> these packages I have selected" until it was done. (I was installing from
> an oldskool Appletalk network (that's 19200 bps isn't it?) which might
> explain it)

On a 68030? That's not too bad. The old school LocalTalk AppleTalk was a
whopping 230kbps. With the MacOS installer, the speed issue is usually the
disk drive; the installer, I'm guessing, writes a file, then all of the
directory data for each file; I think this is why there's no extra step to
unmount the UFS partitions when done. It's damned slow even on a 40 MHz
68040 with ethernet.

>  The computer is a Mac IIsi (68030 @ 20 MHz, 5 MB RAM) (with an Apple
> Portrait Display which I now know has a resolution of 640x870 thanks to
> the NetBSD kernel boot messages).

> sd1(ncrscsi0:1:0) Sense Error Code 0x6d
> no file system for sd1 (dev 0x408)
> cannot mount root, error = 79
> root device (default sd1a):

The easiest way to deal with this is to build your own kernel from the
release source tree. Ha, ha, chicken and egg problem you say (I'm assuming
you're not running NetBSD on your Amiga).

Well even if you could boot into NetBSD, you would have to sup or cvs the
source tree, then compile for (how long on an '030?) something like 8-12
hours.

However, if someone sends you a kernel config file that is known to work
on a IIsi, you can tweak it and send it to me; I'll build it on my 68060,
which already has the release source tree and should take something like
45 minutes.

Then you can just boot and/or install it via the MacOS tools.

Let me know.

John Klos
--
The proof of a system's value is its existence.