Subject: Re: LaserWriter and lpr [solved]
To: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/2001 16:58:30
On 22 Mar 2001, Shigeki Uno wrote:

> though i said "it works well with ...", it works well when i print plain
> text. just plain text. and i'm still trying to print ghostscript file.
>
> here's what i did:
> (1) change 9600 to 57600 with booter on MacOS.

??

> (2) add the following line to /etc/rc.local
>
>   stty -f /dev/tty01 raw 57600 crtscts opost onlcr

This line no longer does anything. Around 1.2, it'd work. Now it doesn't.

> (3) /etc/printcap
>
> lp0|lp|HP DeskWriter 310\
>         :lp=/dev/tty01:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>         :sh:mx#0:\
>         :sh:pl#66:pw#80:if:/usr/libexec/lpr/lpf:

You want to set the baud rate here, br#57600. And to adjust the control
state, you want ms=crtscts,opost,onlcr. That'll give you the same thing as
the stty used to do.

> (4) /usr/libexec/lpr/lpf prevent line from being like stair-stepping.
>
>     line1
>          line2
>               line3

lpf is probably tweaking the output stty settings.

> (5) /usr/pkgsrc/print/magicfilter seems to support lots of filters.
>     i'm never familira with it.
>
> # you can learn more from the following site.
> http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/netbsd.html
>
> the above site is helpful site for NetBSD users and chapter6 <Printing>
> is suitable for you.

Also look at ghostscript. It supports direct graphics output to your
printer, AFAIK.

I'm not 100% as my Deskwriter went to another home a few moves ago.

Take care,

Bill