Subject: Re: NAT and DSL - how to do this?
To: Chris Tucker <nikon@cyberport.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2000 16:21:16
At 9:07 PM -0700 12/8/00, Chris Tucker wrote:
>OK, so I plug the DSL line into one NIC on the BSD box. I plug an ethernet
>cable into the other NIC and hook that up to the hub.
>
>What do I need to do to rc.conf, hosts, ifconfig.ae(1/0), ipnat.conf, etc?

Trust you are using bridged DSL so you don't need to worry about PPPoE.

Enable ipf and ipnat in rc.conf.  Create ifconfig.whatever with your
given/chosen IP addresses.  Create a blank ipf.conf file.  Copy
/usr/share/examples/ipf/BASIC.NAT to /etc/ipnat.conf and fix the IP
numbers to match where they need to.  Reboot (or do the appropriate
reset commands to everything you have changed in the right order).
Have fun.

There is a detailed howto document for ipf and ipnat at
obfuscation.org, but you would need to look through the netbsd.org
web site to get the pointer.  (Or you could do a search on Yahoo for
ipfilter.)

Signature held pending an ISO 9000 compliant
signature design and approval process.