Subject: Re: X failures w/NuBus card
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/1999 10:56:03
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 02:47:04 -0500
 "Michael R. Zucca" <mrz5149@acm.org> wrote:

 > wscons is the cross-platform raster console driver. It will replace ite not
 > grf.

You are obviously ill-informed about what wscons is, then.  wscons also
provides the same graphics ioctls (cursor, colormap, etc.) and frame
buffer mapping primitives that e.g. Sun's "fb" interface did (wscons is
derived from it).

Also, there are at least a couple of people working on a command packet-based
graphics acceleration interface for wscons.

 > Some of the NetBSD ports have a frame buffer device "fb". I had thought
 > this was a sort of NetBSD standard but if you look, there is no standard
 > way in which any NetBSD port seems to handle frame buffers.

A Standard Way is, in fact, what wscons is all about.