Subject: Re: Stylewriter driver (was Re: xemacs printing)
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1999 16:07:55
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

> Also I have a question about printing a man page with this driver.
> This works well if I want to print a man page:
>
> groff -mandoc  /usr/share/man/man1/who.1 | lpr -Pstylps
>
> But this command:
>
> man who | groff -mandoc | lpr -Pstylps
>
>  kind of double prints the bold face text.
>  DDEESSCCRRIIPPTTIIOON like that for "DESCRIPTION"
> But the letters are overlapped.

That's because man who is generating output for your terminal. The way to
specify BOLD for most terminals is to send a letter, backspace, and send
the letter again. So "Description" would be
"D^hDe^hes^hsc^hcr^hri^hip^hpt^hti^hio^hon^n" so groff isn't backspacing
the right amount.

> How can I make it print the man pages correctly with the
> second comand?  I don't want to have to specify the path name
> of the man page every time I have to print a man page.

I think you'll have to. Sorry.

Take care,

Bill