Subject: Re: Inverse Color XServer for Mac68k?
To: Ryan Ordway <rimsky@rimsky.gstis.net>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@agames.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/09/1999 12:11:08
In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9908090449060.16776-100000@rimsky.gstis.net>, Ryan Or
dway writes:

>	What bit depth are you trying to use? From what I recall 8-bit
>color isn't quite supported, and the colors will look pretty funky. :-)
>Also 24-bit may not be supported yet either... your only workable option
>for now is 16-bit color and this isn't always easily obtainable on some
>Macs' internal video. If you can get ahold of a Nubus video card capable
>of driving 16-bit color that would be your best bet.

Hmm, I'm doing this on a PowerBook 540c (with an upgraded processor board
so it is a full '040.)  Unfortunatly this system can't do better than 8bpp.
I just looked at my log and found I was getting this error:

This is not a fatal error.
Couldn't set video mode to desired depth.
I gather there is no video ROM driver present for this display.
Screen 0 at 0x4259000, 640 by 480, 8 bpp, rowB 640, fbbase 0x6660000.

So it looks like you are right, I might just be stuck like this for now.

>        Also, please format your mails to word wrap between 72-80
>characters/line. Pine doesn't like long lines. :-)

Sorry about that, I just got nmh on this box and had forgotten it.  I will
get that fixed.  Thanks for the heads up.

-Sean