Subject: Re: ADBisms..
To: None <ender@macbsd.com>
From: Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1999 18:56:00
On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Colin Wood wrote:

> here's the problem.  last i checked, splsoft() is not implemented via
> splraise(), it's simply spl1().  this means that you're lowering the spl,
> even if you shouldn't.  this could be kinda bad.

Well, I'm very much a newbie at kernel mucking, so please, be gentle ;)

But it seems like something is raising the spl while the LED frobbing code
is waiting for the ADBOp to finish.

> > There's nothing like trying to debug the ADB code, with an ADB keyboard. :^)
>
> yep.  you can turn on the debug printf()'s that are in there, tho.
> they're quite verbose :-)

Well, I haven't tried to debug the "direct" code, but at a glance, I saw
the last key repeat symptom, as well as a bunch of key down events for
caps lock.  The MRG code with the same printfs and so-on only showed one
capslock down...

> well, it seems that the direct code has been a little less stable since
> shortly before 1.4.  i'm not really all that sure what happened to make it
> so.  the 1.4.1 release should be a little bit better, assuming that it's
> built for mac68k.

Well it seems to me, it's probably smarter to leave the MRG code enabled
in the GENERIC kernel.

> well, it can probably stay 1 file, but it certainly needs to be cleaned
> up.  ideally, we will have everything working under the direct drivers and
> not have to use the rom drivers at all.

I've got an aversion to really long text files, since they require I use a
"real" editor (Hello, my name is Alex, and I'm a pico addict ;) ).

> as for changes to the direct driver, it doesn't need to be change for
> wscons, just the kbd and ms drivers.  i think that scott has many of
> the changes already on a branch, tho.

Hmm.  Does anyone know how far along this is?

> if i'm really feeling up to it, i may give cleaning up the direct driver a
> shot, but that's rather far down on my plate at the moment.  of course, if
> john's still maintaining the code, he might have some input on it as
> well...

Well, I'm undoubtedly interested in any and all comments right about now.
:^)

- alex

You wear guilt,
like shackles on your feet,