Subject: Re: UUCP, df, wscons, vmstat, and a small-screen X summary
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Baird <abuse@brushtail.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/25/1999 15:03:18
Larry Kollar,
>> I'm going to be pruning the hard drive over the weekend, and
>> getting rid of UUCP is going to be the first target as I'll never
>> use it. Then I got to wondering -- *are* there people who still use
>> UUCP?
Hauke Fath,
 > Sure. "Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE" is a uucp leaf node. Getting net
 > news over uucp is the only sensible option if you're sitting behind
 > a small modem.  nntp is for the big pipes ;)

The Australian Public Access Association still serves a lot of UUCP
sites, like mine. I'd estimate there's about 150 leafsites here.
(I also know of a few ISPs in Brisbane using dialup uucp/rnews to
share Usenet around, avoiding exorbitant Teleco volume charging. :)

I'd all be for moving UUCP out of base, if it weren't for "cu"-- the
most versatile terminal emulator available...

--
Chris Baird,, <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>