Subject: RE: Newbie question on packages/pico
To: None <dtlinker@u.washington.edu>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/1999 21:05:44
/ Please excuse me if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ places.

See NetBSD.org's package docmentation:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/Packages.txt

The section you're interested in is "Precompiled Packages"

/ Is is possible to install packages using the MacOS installer? Can they
/ function simply as ta'd files, and be untar'd?

They can be copied in via the installer's cpio command.  To install:

	pkg_add somePackage.tgz

(you need to do this as root)

They're actually installed in a seperate directory in /usr, and there's
a subdirectory in /var that's dedicated to holding information about
what packages you have installed, as well as interdependencies between
them.

Later, should you decide that you don't want something,

	pkg_delete full-package-name-without-extension

removes it.  This is a lot easier thah having to keep track of what was
installed where by what programs and then later having to remove files
from a (possible) number of places.

Finally,

	pkg_info

with no arguments will tell you what is installed on your machine, and
give the one-line synopsis for each.

Give it one more try with "pkg_add".

Good luck!

Steve Revilak