Subject: Re: Ghostscript, again.
To: Matthew Reilly <mjreilly@flashcom.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/1999 06:54:54
On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Matthew Reilly wrote:

> Here's my printcap:
>
> 	lp|stylus740|Epson Stylus 740:\
>      :lp=/dev/tty00:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>      :br#230400:pc#500:xc#0177777:ms=-parity,ixon,-opost:sh:\
>      :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpr/stc-if:

> When I print a postscript file, GS fires us, chews on it for a while,
> the printer light starts blinking and then it starts spitting out
> garbage. I know GS is working because I'm able to render .ps files to
> JPEGS no problem so it's got to be something to do with the way the
> printer is configured.

Can you verify that the serial port is being configured correctly with
"stty -af /dev/tty00"? The check is meaningful only while it's
actually printing.

If not, Bill Studenmund suggested in the past that 'xc' is evil. You
might have better luck with just 'ms=cdtrcts,-parity,ixon,-opost' or
some variation thereof.

At least, I'm assuming that the 740 uses dtr/cts. I couldn't find any
docs on the web. Did you get a book with the printer? The reference
guide for the Stylus Pro says

	Bit rate:	57.6Kbps/230.4 Kbps
	Handshaking:	DTR and XON/XOFF

It's also possible that your cable isn't passing the handshaking,
though not very likely. I use the same cable that once connected a
"Fat Mac" (512Ke) to an ImageWriter II, and it works fine.