Subject: Re: Old Mac + big drive = no BSD?
To: Beth Sundheim , NetBSD List <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1999 20:55:43
Beth,

I'm pretty sure that you're having a spinning up/power up problem. Your
hd isn't by chance a Seagate Barracuda?

I had exactly the same problem with a DecRZ29B (which really is a
Barracuda simply labeled Dec) on a IIci. Powering the computer up, I
had a flashing mark, which then, after 15-20 secondy disappeared and
the computer started correctly from that hd. Now, since the power
supply of a IIsi is even weaker than those of the IIci, imagine what
could happen . . .

At those times I discussed the problem with the Seagte tech guy on CIS
and according to him, a Barracuda even on the IIci would need a more
powerful power supply. Anyway, if you can access some other power
supply, even of a pc, you could check this way, whether or not it is a
power up problem. Moreover, try to get the jumper scheme, may be you
can change the spindle up time of the hd.

OS 7.6 will handle even 4 GB easily, I think.

Good luck, Ulrich

PS. That hd now works happily in a Quadra 950 (which has an enormous ps).