Subject: some more 1.3.3 problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chad J McQuinn <cjm@purdue.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1999 13:42:19
First, I forgot to note in my email titled "scsi error message" that I
have the same problem with both 1.3.3 and -current, running the "GENERIC"
kernels.

Now, on to more problems that I'm running into and can't seem to solve:

dhcp: According to the howto, netstart.local should do 'dhclient ae0'
(which is my correct, working ethernet interface). dhclient-script is in
/etc, as is dhclient.conf (I've tried everything from leaving this empty
to including the most elaborate scripts I could put together). According
to tcpdump, nothing even goes out over the network when I run dhclient. I
thought I remembered a web page that said you needed to build a custom
kernel to run dhclient, so I tried that (see below). Can someone tell me
how to get debugging information from dhclient? I can't find anything
anywhere.

The kernel: I can't build it. Not even generic. According to this howto, I
get sys.tar.gz from the 1.3.3 source directory, go to arch/mac68k/conf and
do 'config GENERIC' (using generic just to test this). That goes ok, and
reminds me to 'make depend', so so cd to the compile directory and do
so--bam. "cc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 4",
over and over until this process quits with an error.

Everything's 1.3.3. I tried building on a -current install, but I couldn't
get comp.tgz to unpack. Dhclient exhibits the same behavior on
-current too. This is all taking place on a Quadra 630 with
working ethernet (I can ifconfig it manually to a local network, just
can't get dhclient to work).

Thanks for any advice.

Chad McQuinn
cmcquinn@math.purdue.edu